Product Design Engineer required for a leading aerospace precision engineering company based in Plymouth, the role will be to provide support to the Application Engineering team and interface with the Manufacturing Engineering function in order to facilitate the development of new business and the subsequent introduction of new products.
To turn conceptual designs into realisable products within the scope of the plant capabilities. And Support other areas of the business with requests of a technical nature within the scope of the role
- New Product Introduction: Design, develop, detail and maintain new products and associated documentation required to fully define the finished product including data packs to allow accurate costing and confirmation of production feasibility.
- Administer and maintain part number allocation in line with company standards
- Review and interchange customer drawings and competitor references & specifications
- Technical assistance both internally and externally to the company such as failure analysis, production issues, 8D’s and FMEA’s
- Perform calculations related to part performance using both generic and company specific software platforms
- Prepare technical reports for distribution both internally and externally to the business
- Preparation and maintenance of design files
- Within the mechanism and function of Product Design proactively identify and act upon opportunities to improve the performance and processes of the function, our business and our customers.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships across the company to allow effective team working
- Carry out any task or assignment linked to this position as directed by the Product Engineering Manager and Senior members of the team.
- Occasional domestic and international travel to customers, suppliers and other Schaeffler sites as required.
Qualification / Experience required:
- A Masters/Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related subject accredited by the governing body, i.e. IMechE
- Detailed and practical knowledge of 2D/3D CAD methods, international standards for technical drawing creation
- Fluent with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Working knowledge of FEA methods
The following are desirable but not essential characteristics;
- Experience of manufacturing processes and technologies relevant to our or similar products
- Qualified 6 Sigma Green Belt
- Working knowledge of ProEngineer, Windchill, Planisware & Project Management tools
- Fluency in written and spoken language, preferably German
If you feel you can demonstrate the required skills and experience for the above vacancy, and are currently looking for a new challenge then please submit an up to date CV by using the ‘apply’ button below.
For further information please phone 01752 252533 and ask for Lizzie. Many thanks for your interest.