One of our clients are looking for a Payroll and Benefits Officer to join their team based in Plymstock area.
The purpose of the role is to provide a comprehensive, efficient and accurate payroll and pension service. You will also provide the function in accordance with statutory financial and employment law regulations, working closely with the HR Administrator.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To collate all staff timesheets and ensure correct payment codes are shown where enhancements are payable so that the information is ready for input on the payroll system.
- Accurately input all timesheets to ensure all enhancements are paid correctly
- Action any staff changes required on payroll system i.e. changes in contract hours/salary/bank details/addresses
- Enter new employee’s details onto payroll system.
- Manually calculate any part month changes in salary and enter onto payroll system
- Manually calculate salary advances when applicable.
- Ensure all statutory payments are paid correctly i.e. SMP/SSP/SPP/SAP/Student Loan repayments and maintain accurate records of these payments
- Respond to HMRC communications via the payroll software (Earnie IQ) / HMRC website and written enquiries from HMRC/DWP/Courts when applicable.
- Liaise with HMRC regarding Tax/NI issues where appropriate.
- Action and ensure accurate recovery of employee overpayments, Salary Sacrifice schemes and salary advances.
- Manage payroll queries in person, by telephone or written correspondence from staff and managers in a professional manner, explaining payslips as necessary and ensuring action is taken to rectify any errors.
- Calculate salary advances for payroll errors, if required and prepare paperwork.
- Accurately calculate and monitor holiday pay on a monthly basis, using employee’s average earnings.
- Provide payroll support, advice and guidance to managers and staff ensuring legislative requirements are met and standards of good practice are maintained.
- Implement new policies and procedures to meet the changing requirements of the payroll department.
- Process employee’s payroll records when they leave employment, ensuring all outstanding payments and deductions are entered including payments/recovery in lieu of annual leave and issue of P45’s.
- Run the payroll each month to ensure all staff receive their pay on the last Thursday of the month.
- Submit all records for checking to HR Administrator/HR Advisor as appropriate.
- Print payslips & prepare for distribution.
- Run payroll reports, as required.
- Management of year-end statutory filings (P60/P11D/Year End Reconciliation).
- Ensure GPP & NHS Pension scheme changes are completed correctly and at the appropriate time.
- Responsible for the accurate calculation & administration of the GPP, Nest & NHS Pension schemes.
- File ‘Full Payment Submissions’ and ‘Employers Payment Summary online under the HMRC Real Time Information.
- Reconcile ‘Year to date’ figures on a monthly basis.
- Run ‘Month End’ on payroll system.
- Provide accurate and timely reports to finance both monthly and at year end
- Work closely with the finance department to ensure the payroll reconciles with the accounts correctly on a monthly and yearly basis.
- Administration of the monthly auto enrolment process to include the input of starters, leavers, changes, monthly monitoring of salaries, assessing and enrolling workers as appropriate, monitoring and processing opt-outs.
- Keep accurate reconciliations of pensions to ensure the correct amount of contributions are paid, and ensuring refunds are given where appropriate.
- Liaise with finance quarterly to reconcile pension contributions to finance records.
- Ensure documents are issued and timescales are met in accordance with the pension regulator rules.
- Administer and monitor bank workers in accordance with Nest and the Pension Regulator.
- Accurately report staff turnover for departments, directorates and overall every month, Quarter & yearly.
KNOWLEDGE, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Payroll qualification & strong knowledge of payroll legislation
- Significant previous payroll and pensions experience
- Knowledge of NHS pension scheme
- Comprehensive knowledge of HMRC current legislation e.g. Tax/NI rates, statutory payments
- Accurate numeracy skills
- Accurate data entry skills
- Experience of using ‘Earnie IQ’ payroll system or a similar payroll system
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office packages including Excel and Word
- Ability to work under pressure to agreed deadlines
- Ability to be flexible, cope under pressure and prioritise work efficiently.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work on own initiative
- An excellent understanding of confidentiality
- Strong working knowledge of auto enrolment procedures
- Understanding of the legal requirements set by the Pension Regulator.
PLANNING AND ORGANISATION
- The ability to work independently, using own initiative in order to prioritise tasks.
- Ability to work under pressure to agreed deadlines to ensure staff are paid on the last Thursday of the month.
- Maintaining monthly computerised/paper payroll files, ensuring records are kept up to date, are clearly documented and are available for checking/audit.
- Able to cope with frequent interruptions face to face or on the telephone without quality of work being affected.
- Ensure all documents are produced in accordance with the pension regulator
If you are an experienced Payroll Officer and are currently looking for a new challenge then please submit an up to date CV by using the ‘apply’ button below.
For an informal chat please phone 01752 252533 and ask for Laura. Many thanks for your interest.