The Automation Technician will work as a member of the team to achieve departmental objectives and performance targets by safely and effectively undertaking duties, 80% of which will be focused on continuous improvement, 20% carrying out routine planned and unplanned maintenance for all equipment. You will highlight opportunities where automation can be improved to reduce repetitive operator tasks, improve quality and reduce waste. You will also provide assistance to departments, carrying out activities such as problem solving, continuous improvements, operational training on machinery.
Key Requirements :
- Apply problem solving and continuous improvement techniques to recommend and implement automation improvements to maximise equipment availability, performance, reduce repetitive operator tasks, improve quality and reduce waste. These improvements are to be documented, including ROI and confirmation of effectiveness.
- Planning and delivering corrective and reactive work, ensuring that tools, parts and materials are available and production downtime is minimised.
- Attend breakdowns to factory equipment, site services and facilities ensuring that permanent fix is made to standard. Communicate action plan to resolve issues to the Operations Team and Maintenance Reliability Team Leader.
- Completing the Planned Maintenance activities as defined by the site maintenance plan to schedule and within specified time frame.
- Ensure a dynamic health and safety risk assessment is undertaken prior to commencing any task. When risks have been highlighted sufficient controls must be put in place. Considerations must be taken for the safety of others, including HT staff, visitors and contractors. The Permit to Work system is to be used to control and document risks where necessary.
- To uphold and exceed standards of safety ensuring all work areas are kept tidy by adopting a “clean as you go” approach at all times. Actively seek to improve work areas by applying 5S principles.
- Effective use of the CMMS (Pirana) to record all defects identified corrective actions, fault codes and parts used. All records to be completed to standard to ensure information can be further utilised.
- Contribute to problem solving workshops, providing automation expertise to identify root causes of failures and the subsequent improvement actions
- Ensuring all work performed is in compliance with all aspects of the Health & Safety at Work Legislation and the Company Health & Safety Policy
- Maintain and apply a level of technical expertise across the site, sufficient to act as a point of reference for team members & colleagues, to resolve complex problems of repair/fix and give technical direction.
- Liaise and communicate with Reliability Team Leader and Production Departments through informal & formal meetings to keep them informed of progress, to resolve issues and ensure that efficient running of the factory is maintained.
- To support the introduction of new machinery from specification to our client's standards through to FAT and the creation of PPMs
- Possession of ONC or equivalent in a relevant discipline
- Completed apprenticeship (NVQ Level 3) in appropriate engineering discipline
- Experience working within a processing, manufacturing or similar environment
- Awareness of Health & Safety regulations
- Computer literate and familiar with Microsoft office systems
- Knowledge of electrical control and safety systems with a logical approach to fault finding
- Experience of PLC programming, able to make minor modifications to ladder logic
- Experience of variable speed motor control systems. Inverter / DC drive
- Customer Focus – work to minimise the risk to production caused by machine downtime
- Commercial awareness – knowledge and awareness of the final application of our products
- Communication – an excellent communicator through all levels of the organisation
- Teamwork – able to work as part of a team when required to get the task done, also with the ability to self-direct and motivate when working alone.
If you have the experience and are currently looking for a new challenge, then please submit an up to date CV by using the ‘apply’ button below.
For an informal chat, please phone 01752 252533 and ask for Louise. Many thanks for your interest.