Our client creates innovative IT products and services that transform the way their customers work and as such, innovation is at the heart of what they do. They have strong and growing divisions that specialise in providing IT services, communication solutions and retail to business and home customers throughout the UK. Their depth and range of expertise in IT and communication services is one of the many reasons why they are so renowned.
Working in this position, you will have a key part to play within a newly formed, dynamic Dev Ops team. The business has a large NHS system supplier Operations Department, which is currently undergoing the development of a new hosted infrastructure stack. Your primary tasks will include working with the other members of the Dev Ops infrastructure and application team to develop the NAGIOS management platform alongside Engineering, Software and support teams, to specific contract SLA and assurance standards.
This will also include secondary platform development and integration for threat protection and vulnerability scanning tools throughout the infrastructure and NAGIOS with our existing in-house product and technology teams. This position is office based at our Bodmin campus, nestled within the glorious Cornish countryside. The successful candidate must have the experience, training or knowledge as appropriate listed below:
- NAGIOS XI, NA, Logserver Cluster
- Nessus Professional
- Sophos Anti-Virus
- Cloud Infrastructure
- Nagios product configuration and development.
- Linux (RedHat(RHEL), Ubuntu, CentOS, SUSE) configuration and networking experience - Commercial 1-3 years experience.
- Experience working using the LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) stack.
- Excellent knowledge of programming languages (preferably PHP and/or C/C++) and database systems (MySQL and/or PostgresQL.)
- Excellent knowledge of HTML and CSS.
- C programming.
- Python programming.
- Previous experience of enterprise datacentre monitoring and alerting.
- Solid ability to troubleshoot a variety of performance issues and other problems, from slow disk response to running out of file descriptors.
- Strong understanding of unit scripts, creating new filesystems, /proc and other sysadmin essentials.
- Experience with monitoring. Nagios experience is a huge plus but experience with another major monitoring system will suffice.
- Must know the ins and outs of creating monitors, setting thresholds and sending notifications.
- Experience with any metrics application, such as RRDTool, Cacti or MRTG.
- Able to troubleshoot network problems from the system perspective, such as identifying dropped packets or high latency that traces back to a particular network device. Ability to capture and analyse network traffic across a particular interface is a big plus.
- Familiarity with SNMP and an understanding of how to use snmpget and snmpwalk and work with the output.
- Ability to work closely with development and support groups to define new monitoring needs.
- Experience using Git revision management system
One or more of the below is a bonus but is not essential to the role:
- Sophos Certified administrator.
- Any security experience or certifications.
- Cloud enterprise management certifications.
- Previous knowledge of NHS clinical systems.
- Configuration and administration of Nessus Professional.
- Experience managing and mitigating common vulnerabilities and exposures (CVE.)
- Integration of Nessus Vulnerability and patch scanning with NAGIOS.
- Familiarity with Enterprise class Anti-virus solutions and management environments.
- Familiarity with and knowledge of Dev Ops continuous deployment technologies, such as; Kubernetes, docker, Ansible, Kiwi and Terraform.
Skills & Attributes
- Good organisational and self-management skills.
- Good written and verbal communications skills.
- The ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Interpersonal effectiveness, the ability to work and communicate within a team.
- Good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Self-perseverance and motivation.
- Enthusiasm to learn and absorb new information.
- Academic confidence in reading and maths.
- Strong work values; positive attitude, dependability, honesty and self-confidence.
- Commercial awareness is a bonus, specifically within the public sector but graduate candidates will also be considered.
Within this position, issues you will manage include the interpretation of cases and evaluation of needs, requiring constant interaction with colleagues throughout the company. There is a demand to find solutions, involving some originality, drawing both on current practices and acquired knowledge and skills. You will be in charge of ensuring that resolutions meet both NHS/ITIL and business criteria, in line with performance indicators, quality standards, statutory regulations and to agreed time scales.
You will be responsible for maintaining the integrity and confidentiality of information dealt with or held. This position is mainly office based, however you will sometimes be required to visit sites throughout the UK. The successful candidate will also be expected to attend periodic meetings with the NHS. This is a permanent full-time post, Monday to Friday (40 hours.)
If you have the experience and are currently looking for a new challenge, then please submit an up to date CV by using the ‘apply’ button below. For an informal chat, please phone 01752 252533 and ask for Rachel V. Many thanks for your interest.