We are working closely with a clinical software specialist, who are searching for a Dev Ops Engineer to work from their Bodmin offices. We are on the hunt for someone who is; sharp, inventive, curious and pro-active. Our client creates innovative IT products and services that transform the way their customers work and as such, innovation is at the heart of what they do. They have strong and growing divisions that specialise in providing IT services, communication solutions and retail to business and home customers throughout the UK. Their depth and range of expertise in IT and communication services is one of the many reasons why they are so renowned.
As the Dev Ops Engineer, you will report directly to the Systems Architect and The Board of Directors. You will need to have the ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and tools. You will need to be able to confidently code and script and will need relevant experience with systems and IT operations. You should be comfortable with frequent, incremental code testing and deployment and have a strong grasp of automation tools. Data management skills are very important in this role, as is a strong focus on business outcomes. You will be comfortable with collaboration, open communication and reaching across functional borders.
- Capable of working simultaneously on different projects, with little impact due to context switching. Uses this ability to your advantage in order to utilise deadlines and/or blocks with projects.
- Can work to set milestones and targets and pursue them. Regularly achieves targets and will promptly identify deviations and act accordingly to correct them.
- Implements and extends code; reflecting requirements and following the design given. Proficient at one language and capable of writing quality code in different languages. Has built a solid base of knowledge that places him/her in a comfortable position when delivering code into production environments.
- Writes production quality, reliable, fault tolerant and efficient, robust code and understands interaction, races and emergence. Visualises his/her code as part of a larger system, not in isolation and considers and controls complex, non-linear effects from the code in the solution.
- Can design parallel code, asynchronous flows and synchronisation. Has control over it and can apply it where necessary to improve performance, concurrency and/or user’s product experience.
- Is aware of and controls memory usage and other resources when writing code, thinking of the solution as a whole. Visualises his/her code in interaction with hardware and network limitations and considers and controls the use of resources with the objective to optimise the execution in the production environment.
- Identifies and solves logical problems and can define/map business logic to algorithms and functions robustly. Has developed analytical thinking and is capable of quickly understanding business processes and mapping them to logical or procedural workflows. Can design algorithms and functions that reflect such workflows, allowing him/her to rapidly identify potential problems in existing code.
- Has a sound understanding of data structures, with the ability to robustly design them to satisfy general requirements. Has a good understanding of data serialisation in different formats and applies them as necessary, considering their relative advantages.
- Comfortable writing unit tests for their own code or someone else’s code. Can proof without loss of generality in any given unit.
- Understands compilers and linkers and can solve/debug building problems easily (e.g. dependencies, recursive dependency, etc.)
- Can design efficient document structures for new solutions written in different languages. Optimises versioning in repository, creates easily understandable (by third parties) structures.
Knowledge and Skills
The below is a list of technologies that we are interested in. We do not require you to have experience with all of them but the more, the better:
- Experienced with Linux and Unix OS.
- Have a deep understanding of DevOps and Agile methodologies & concepts.
- Have a good knowledge of virtualisation tools, VMware and KVM.
- Have hands on experience working with containerisation and resource scheduling, docker and Kubernetes.
- Confident writing test-driven infrastructure as Code, ideally grown in Terraform.
- Have a very good knowledge of configuration management tools and techniques, such as Ansible, Puppet and Chef.
- Knows all there is to know about continuous integration implementation tools such as Jenkins and Go CD.
- Has mastered monitoring tools such as Nagios and Kibana
- Very knowledgeable with source control management tools, such as Git.
- Have comprehensive networking knowledge in both local and cloud based environments.
- Have proven professional experience in OpenStack architecture and administration in production environments.
- Have knowledge of open-source middleware applications, such as; Redis, MySQL, PosgreSQL and SOLR.
- Have production working experience with frontend web services, including Apache and NGINX.
- Breath security experience or understanding.
To be considered for this exciting position, you will need to have the relevant qualifications in computer science or similar. Good verbal and written communications skills are a necessity and having previous experience in dealing with clinical safety would be highly advantageous. Problems you will address involve the interpretation of cases and the evaluation of requirements, requiring constant interaction with colleagues across Departments.
There is a requirement to devise solutions involving some originality, drawing both on procedures and acquired knowledge and skills. Internal contact is an integral part of the job, involving liaison and consultation with colleagues and managers across the Company.
Most software development within the company follows a ‘Lean and Agile’ methodology, which places particular emphasis on good communication within a close team. You will be responsible for any computer systems/equipment used or evaluated and for maintaining the integrity and confidentiality of patient information that may be encountered. This role is predominantly office based, with occasional site visits.
If you have the experience and are currently looking for a new challenge, then please submit an up to date CV by using the ‘apply’ button below. For an informal chat, please phone 01752 252533 and ask for Rachel V. Many thanks for your interest.