Our client is an Earth Observation (EO) company, working within the space sector. They combine cutting edge scientific knowledge with satellite and airborne data to provide their clients answers to questions about our planet’s resources and behaviour. Examples of their studies include flood maps, information about soil and crop health and data surrounding changes in rivers, reservoirs and the ocean.
This is a small, family owned business. They have been recognised for ambitious and innovative approaches that combine high quality science, with the delivery of downstream applications. We are seeking someone who can really make a difference to the business, supporting growth and working on internationally focused projects. Another aspect of this role will be support for the client’s online product and services offering, which will be launching later this year.
- Undertaking scientific research and development
- Developing relevant EO content for their website and social media
- Creating, developing and improving a range of terrestrial and hydrological EO Products
- Participating in the tender process for the business and providing technical inputs where relevant
- Maintaining and operating their Linux-based processing software and correcting errors in the system
- Ensuring that all developed code is correctly commented and supported by written technical documentation
- Undertaking software testing and data quality analysis, to ensure that outputs are robust and well understood
- Supporting existing contracts through data processing, data analysis and the production of reports
- Working alongside the managing director; trialling, testing and developing innovative EO products and services
- Representing the business at conferences and meetings, supporting their current work and future ideas
Key Skills Required:
- Ability to organise yourself and work to deadlines
- Structured, logical and analytical way of thinking
- Qualified to degree or post-graduate level/equivalent
- Experience in developing within the Linux OS
- Ability to implement mathematical equations and statistical/data analytics approaches
- Strong self-management skills and work ethic, with the ability to work for periods without supervision
- Experience in software programming and scripting, including Python and Linux commands, such as WGET
- Experience in MATLAB programming, Python or IDL
- System administration experience within the Linux Operating System
- Team leadership skills, willingness to supervise junior staff or lead a team
- Commitment to learn programming languages used in EO e.g. IDL legacy code as a proprietary input
- Experience in GIS or geography analysis, working with map projections, satellite data formatting, in volumes and sizes
- To promote the commercialisation of academic and scientific research, including actively supporting the growth of the UK and international communities
- Supporting the development of end user software solutions and educational material to promote the usage of Earth Observation imagery and its underlying information by non experts
- Conducting scientific research into environmental mapping and change detection including marine, fresh water and terrestrial applications
We would ideally prefer an immediate start but we are prepared to wait for the right candidate. This is a great opportunity to work within a vibrant, passionate business who truly believes that scientific research and innovation are vital to the future development of both knowledge and society.
If you have the relevant experience and are looking for a new challenge, then please submit an up to date CV by using the ‘apply’ button below. For an informal chat, please phone 01752 252533 and ask for Rachel. Many thanks for your interest.