Strategic Buyer required to join the procurement team of a leading worldwide manufacturer. The role will include managing indirect material supply through the development of existing relationships within the supply chain, as well as identifying potential new supply sources and implementing new agreements where appropriate. This is an exciting opportunity to join a manufacturer who has achieved market dominance through sustained growth.
- Strategic buying, develop buying strategies and stocking policies at key suppliers to manage long lead time parts – typically to support Kanban. Monitor actual performance and drive conformance.
- Supplier relationships, build mutually beneficial relationships with key suppliers, focusing on steel commodity and steel fabricated parts.
- Supplier selection, find and evaluate new suppliers to help manage risk and capacity.
- Risk management, through sound supplier selection and stocking policies.
- Cost reduction, drive material cost reduction. Drive true year on year improvements.
- Create purchase orders for approval, using SAP.
- Monitor and drive supplier performance. Ensure suppliers deliver on time in full, take corrective actions when required. Escalate in a timely manner with the supplier (i.e. beyond the normal contacts. Escalate as required to encourage peer to peer communication
- Create forecast information for suppliers, ensure it is sent on a regular basis as agreed with the supplier
- Regular communication and meetings with key suppliers. This will include face to face meetings and visits
- Create stocking policies with key suppliers. Typically to manage the risk areas of long lead time parts and single source parts. This supports Kanban deliveries.
- Material cost management. Monitor material costs at least once a month, analysis of changes (beneficial and adverse) Drive cost improvements through negotiation, supplier selection/quotes and more strategic approaches (longer times pricing)
- Work with Supplier Quality to ensure all materials are within specification and they are fit for purpose
- Safety, ensure that all materials are delivered in a safe and secure manner.
Essential Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Attributes Required:
- Purchasing experience gained from within a manufacturing environment.
- CIPS qualification.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Excellent data analysis skills using ERP / MRP systems and Excel.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to work to tight deadlines under pressure.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience.
- A degree in a relevant associated subject.
- SAP experience.
- Steel commodity management including the purchasing of steel fabricated parts.
If you are an experienced Procurement Professional, and are currently looking for a new challenge, please submit an up to date CV by using the ‘apply’ button below.
For an informal chat with regards to this role please call 01752 252533 and ask for Samantha Luxton.