Call for further information
No. of Openings :
Job Type :
International market leader in its field looking to recruit an experienced Category Buyer to support their continued growth, the successful applicant will ensure the security of supply of externally purchased materials and services in line with business needs in the most cost effective & time critical way whilst ensuring safety and quality.
- Responsible for the total cost of ownership and on-going supplier management of commodity groups for supplier spend in the range £10-30m (depending on experience and commodity group ownership)
- Conduct routine strategic sourcing activities and lead on-going Supplier Relationship Management (SRM) initiatives with all suppliers in the nominated category group in order to manage the total cost of acquisition and support the needs of the business.
- Work collaboratively with members of the Operations and wider business stakeholders to drive continuous improvement in all aspects of supply of goods and services.
- Review & understand commodity and market pricing via analysis of raw material fluctuations, currency movement and market trends/demands to support cost reduction via negotiation, internal waste reduction projects & design/development improvements.
- Conduct strategic sourcing activities for your defined commodity groups using company category management toolkit, to derive term contracts, manage supply base and instigate supplier continuous improvement programmes.
- Construction and negotiation of supply contracts with external suppliers (using approved frameworks/T&Cs where possible)
- Liaise with other members of the Operations group (e.g. Planning, Logistics, Production, Manufacturing Engineering and Quality) to ensure production supply is optimised for inventory and efficient/timely production schedule adherence – including e.g. development of vendor managed inventory, quality audits, and supplier performance reviews.
- Liaise with other Category Buyers – Development and the wider Development and Design team to ensure that New Product Introduction processes are supported and that return on investment (ROI) targets are met
- Undertake make vs buy analysis and implement appropriate solutions as appropriate.
- Undertake assessment of multiple market solution where available including (but not limited to) low-cost country sourcing opportunities where appropriate
- Adhere to administration systems ensuring agreed processes of the purchase cycle such as order format, delivery schedules etc. are complied with.
- Track and report supplier performance, purchase price variance and other relevant KPIs including project updates and benefits delivered.
- Working with a range of business stakeholders, support the construction and deployment of category strategies.
KPIs (key focus items)
- Cost of materials / services
- Reporting of Profit Improvement Plans (PIP) – TCO approach- Process & Waste, Development & Engineering, Cost of Quality
- Supplier Performance (OTIF) and other relevant contractual measures depending on the commodity group(s)
- Working capital improvements (inventory and/or supplier terms)
- At least 3 years procurement experience, preferably (but not essentially) from a manufacturing background e.g., Automotive, FMCG industries
- CIPS or equivalent qualifications preferred but not essential
- Computer literate in Microsoft applications including Work and Excel
- Knowledge of business enterprise resource planning (ERP) and also procurement technologies (e.g., eSourcing platforms) would be desirable
- The ability to collaborate and communicate at all levels by showing good presentation skills with a willingness to embrace change
- Data driven with good negotiation skills supported by a desire to achieve best in class commercial solutions
- Understanding of supply contracts (legal and commercial aspects)
- An understanding of budgets and financial matters in a manufacturing environment
The Procurement team also operates a flexible working policy that allows individuals to spend some time working from home if the needs of the business permit.
If you have the required experiences listed above and are currently looking for a new challenge, then please submit an up to date CV by using the ‘apply’ button below.
For an informal chat, please phone 01752 252533 and ask for David. Many thanks for your interest.