Up to £45,000 DOE
No. of Openings :
Job Type :
Reporting to the Senior Project Manager, you will be responsible for managing and coordinating key phases of a project life cycle, from initial feasibility, preliminary design and estimating, through detailed engineering and design, procurement construction, commissioning and hand-over of equipment packages and plants, ensuring delivery of safe, efficient, reliable, timely, innovative and competitive manufacture plants. Also, specifically responsible for leading company internal projects and supporting their key partner projects. Therefore ability and flexibility to travel both domestically and internationally is essential.
- Lead feasibility studies (FEL 1) / preliminary (FEL 3) design work for 2-3 new opportunities per annum, including site/customer visits and surveys, CAPEX / OPEX estimates, within time and budget constraints.
- Development of all key Project Management documentation including Scope Defintion, Project Execution Plans (including Procurement, Resource, Quality, etc.), Program / Schedule, CAPEX estimate, Risk Management Plan, etc.
- Manage and coordinate key phases of a project life cycle, from initial feasibility, preliminary design and estimating, through detailed engineering and design, procurement construction, commissioning and handover of equipment packages/small plants systems/plants, ensuring delivery of safe, efficient, reliable, timely, innovative and competitive manufacturing plants.
- Coordinate all engineering design work, and procurement activities, plus provide on-site support during construction and commissioning on the larger internal projects, in line with the schedule, budget and contract commitments.
- Support the Senior Project Manager to define appropriate engineering/design, procurement, construction and commissioning strategies for each project.
- Lead the various Design Reviews during the project execution including HAZOP, Constructability/Maintainability/Operability reviews and Design Risk Assessments.
- Lead/coordinate and contribute to the technical part of RFIs and RFQs, including for construction packages.
- Support the Senior Project Manager with project forecasting and deliverable / cost/schedule progress reporting and control. Manage the project scope change / variance management procedure
- Co-ordinate and manage contractors, vendors and consultants with special emphasis on Environmental, Health and Safety as well as budget, program and quality.
- Ensure all designs meet internal and customer standards/requirements and relevant safety legislation and techniques e.g. PED, Machinery Directive, PSSR, CDM, etc.
- Ensure the output from third party engineering / design companies is acceptable in terms of competitiveness, quality, professionalism and timeliness.
- Lead efforts to optimise the capital and operational costs of process plants through innovative and creative design, and the Value Engineering program.
- Look for opportunities to reduce the design and build cost and duration for the projects through use of the standard designs, modularisation plus innovative and creative design and lean execution.
- Maintain a current knowledge in health and safety: LOTOTO (Lock out, Tag Out, Try Out), RAMs (Risk and Method Statements), Safe Methods of Work, Confined Space Entry, Working at Heights, Stored Energy, Forklift Safety, Suspended Loads, and all other company health and safety practices.
- Maintain a current knowledge and experience in Engineering/Design methods, sequences and tools.
- Carry out structured root cause analysis on plant and equipment to determine the cause and mode of failure.
- Maintain awareness of relevant global engineering trends and inventions.
- Maintain awareness of relevant engineering legislation and important changes thereto.
- Ensure proper Project Document Control using the company Document Control System.
- Help manage and co-ordinate key suppliers and contractors to ensure key project requirements are attained.
- Support construction and commissioning teams during construction and commissioning including, as required on-site support per project needs i.e. Technical Queries, Contractor/Vendor supervision, Probem Resolution, Snagging, Close-out and Hand-over process and documentation etc. .
- Use the estimating, cost control, document management, ERPs, maintenance management and other collaborative working tools.
- Capture and record the “learnings” from each plant built to improve the design of future plants. Updated Nov 20
- Anticipate problems before they occur and take the necessary action to avoid or mitigate the consequences. Escalate to the Project Director/Manager or other senior management if necessary.
Essential Experience / Qualifications and Attributes Required:
- BSc or Masters Degree in Mechanical, Chemical or Electrical Engineering.
- Extensive experience in industrial process sector (ideally minerals and/or pulp and paper).
- Experience in the design, construction and commissioning of process plants required.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in either Mechanical and/or Electrical Equipment specification, design, installation and operation beneficial
- Experience of other engineering disciplines (i.e. Document Management, Scope Development and Estimating, Design Hazard Review/Hazop, Solids Material Handling Engineering) and/or other competency / qualification (i.e. CE / PED, Machinery Directive, etc.) desirable.
- Well developed people skills (EQ and EI) – especially communication and team working; problem solving; flexibility; mental resilience; professionalism; calm manner; positive attitude; numeracy; approachable; strong intuition; committed; practical, realistic but optimistic; company minded.
- Full job description and person specification available on application.
- Excellent company benefits.
If you have recent relevant experience/qualifications, and are currently looking for a new challenge, please submit an up to date CV by using the ‘apply’ button.
For an informal chat about this position please call Geraldine Ives on 01752 252533.