No. of Openings :
Job Type :
Our client, an established wholesale business based in Newquay, Cornwall, are looking to recruit and experienced and professional Transport Manager to lead the transport team effectively and responsibly within the Cornwall depot. The ideal candidate will come from a wholesale background.
- Take the lead role in planning, costing and allocating routes and vehicles ensuring sufficient flexibility is in place to meet the varying and changing needs of customers.
- Manage the rota and shift patterns for the transport team to ensure sufficient resource is available in line with company plans. Including management of holiday and absence.
- Ensure that all in house vehicles are compliant with all legal, regulatory and contractual requirements, and where necessary escalating any identified issues and recommending resolution.
- Develop and implement a proactive, planned and structured approach to the maintenance of fleet vehicles, keeping within the designated budget and ensuring all vehicles used are fit for purpose and the customer experience is of a high standard.
- Ensuring transport staff deliver the service appropriate to the changing needs of customers in line with relevant guidance and individual risk assessments.
- Manage and communicate KPI’s for transport department.
- Manage transport systems.
- Manage and develop a team of drivers and transport supervisors, who may be working remotely, either alone or in small teams, in order to deliver a high quality service to customers. Including management and implementation of the capability and disciplinary process as required.
- Ensure all drivers and operators have correct and up to date qualifications. Manage the training requirements for the transport team to ensure compliance and sufficient resource is available.
- To take the lead in resolving unforeseen problems as they arise ensuring appropriate resolution of these and to utilise the learning to plan for future similar scenarios.
- Manage and oversee operational health and safety requirements.
- To work as a member of the company management team, undertaking delegated tasks and responsibilities in line with the emerging needs and operational requirements of the service, including where necessary the contracting out of transport provision to other transport providers.
- To ensure high standards of service delivery through the consistent application of recognised standards and established policies, procedures and practices.
- To work in a safe and effective manner at all times.
- Licence to drive in the UK
- Operator CPC licence
- Good numeracy skills
- Analytical thinking skills
- Ability to work well with others
- Complex problem-solving skills
- Good attention to detail
- Ability to influence a team of drivers
- Commercially focused and results driven
- Food industry experience is desirable
- Experience in a similar managerial role in the transport sector, including supervision of staff
- Experience of managing budgets & contracts
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Proven ability to plan and navigate journeys confidently
- Experience of vehicle maintenance
- Knowledge of fleet operating systems
- Knowledge of road transport and relevant environmental legislation
- Local area knowledge (Southwest) is preferred
- Knowledge of transport methods, costs and benefits
If you are an experienced Transport Manager within food service distribution and are currently looking for a new challenge, then please submit an up to date CV by using the ‘apply’ button below.
For an informal chat please phone 01752 252533 and ask for Lizzie Boorman. Many thanks for your interest.